Called to Do Justice

Posted on 16. Jul, 2020 in Christian Values, Community, Conflict, Faith and Justice, Vocation, Young people

JaNaé Bates works in Minneapolis USA as a minister in the United Methodist Church. She is a member of Isaiah, a grouping of religious organisations from Christian, Muslim, and other faith backgrounds working for racial and economic justice in the state of Minnesota. In this two part series with Pat Coyle, JaNaé talks about her […]

Hearing our Body’s Call

Posted on 09. Jul, 2020 in Christian Values, Community, Feminism/Women in the Church, Music Therapy, Prayer, Spiritual, Vocation

In this second part of our series from the archives with Celeste Snowber, Associate Professor in the Faculty of Education at Simon Fraser University in Vancouver, Canada, she explores how we actually “bully” our bodies.  She points out that we regularly berate our bodies for not being what we think they should be, in a […]

Connecting to the Body Part 1

Posted on 02. Jul, 2020 in Christian Values, Church Teachings, Community, Meditation, Spirituality

In this two part series from the archives, Celeste Snowber, Associate Professor in the Faculty of Education at Simon Fraser University in Vancouver, Canada explores our relationships with our bodies. She feels strongly that the body is central to how we live, move, breathe, question, and uncover passion and voice. She is also a dancer, […]

St Antony: Patron of Lost Things

Posted on 25. Jun, 2020 in Christian Values, Church Teachings, Community, Saints

For anyone who has ever lost anything, they will be familiar with praying to St. Antony, whose feast falls in June. What is lesser known is that he was also famous for his eloquence and powers of reconciliation. Born Fernando Martins in Lisbon, Portugal, his family were very wealthy.  By the age of fifteen asked to […]

Come to Me

Posted on 18. Jun, 2020 in Christian Values, Community, Music

Our chant for this week is, Come to Me from the album Shelter Me – Reflective Chants of Gentleness and Calm by Marie Dunne CHF, featuring Katie O’Flaherty and Eugene Ginty. Matthew 11:28 Come to me all who are weary and I will give you rest; Come to me all who are weary and I will give you rest.

Music for the Soul

Posted on 18. Jun, 2020 in Christian Values, Community, Music

Brendan McManus is an Irish Jesuit, author, blogger and spiritual director who has been writing a lot during the pandemic. In one article he talks about how music helped him get through some of the hardest moments in his life and how it also allowed him to make spiritual break throughs while on retreat. Here […]

The New Fascism

Posted on 18. Jun, 2020 in Christian Values, Community, Faith and Justice, Politics

Michael Kirwan SJ is a theologian with a particular interest in political theology who lectures in the Loyola Institute of Catholic theology in Trinity College Dublin. In this piece with Pat Coyle, he looks at what some commentators are calling ‘new fascism’. He says that it appears today as if we are almost replicating the processes […]

Online Ceremonies

Posted on 11. Jun, 2020 in Christian Values, Community, Feminism/Women in the Church, Liturgy

In this second part with Patricia Higgins, a One Spirit Interfaith Minister, we look at her work hosting services during the lockdown. A lot of her training for the One Spirit Interfaith Ministry was done online, so she felt that it gave her a certain advantage in terms of being adaptable during Covid-19. She says […]

Ceremonies that Connect

Posted on 04. Jun, 2020 in Christian Values, Community, Liturgy

Patricia Higgins is a OneSpirit Interfaith Minister and offers ceremonies to those who are looking for a way to express their spirituality in an open and inclusive way. She worked for many year with Slí Eile and other Church organisation before realising that she wanted the freedom to fulfil her calling as a minister. She […]

Bridging the Digital Divide

Posted on 04. Jun, 2020 in Christian Values, Church Teachings, Community, Schools

Tiernan O’Neill has spent over 12 years working in Corpus Christi primary school in Moyross, as a class teacher, home-school-community liaison co-ordinator and now Principal. He has seen first hand the devastating consequences of poverty and educational underachievement, but Covid-19 has led to increased difficulties. The lack of broadband and laptops is creating a “digital […]